Here is how you check if a trades-person is licensed


If you're using a contractor or trades-person for services such as residential building, wiring, plumbing, draining, gas fitting, air conditioning or refrigeration work (except plug in appliances), you should check that they have a valid contractor license or they are certified.

To learn more click here..

Search the public register by hitting the link


Ask the trades-person if they are an active member of the Ontario College of Trades and have the necessary certification of qualification and a clean record when it came to disciplinary actions or misconduct.

Thanks to the Ontario College of Trades, you can check on the contractors you plan to hire. The college has a public registry, which says whether or not a trades-person is certified.

The Ontario College of Trades


The Ontario College of Trades investigates public complaints regarding its members through investigations and inspections.

The College is at liberty to enforce charges, penalties, and tickets to its members if an offense has been reported about them.

Members can appeal their charges.

The Ontario College of Trades Ontario Compulsory Trades


Compulsory trades require that a tradesperson must register as an apprentice, journeyperson, or have journeyperson certification in order to work in the field.

You can check this list to view all compulsory trades in Ontario.

Electrician Companies and their Electricians are Governed by ESA


In Ontario, Licensed Electrical Contractors are the only business in legally allowed to do electrical work in your home.

Electricians must be registered, certified, and licensed with the governing body before participating in any business.

You can check to see if your electrician is licensed.

Compliance and Enforcement


The College investigates allegations of professional misconduct, incompetence or incapacity made against its members.

Only members of the College are subject to the College's complaints, discipline and fitness to practice function.

You can lodge a complaint against a member here.

Heating Companies and their Technician are Governed by TSSA


Under the Ontario Energy Act, administered by the Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA).

Business must be registered and only Licensed Technician (C of Q holders) are legally allowed to do any work involving gas piping and gas fire appliances in your home.

Plumbing Companies and their Plumbers are Governed by The Ontario College of Trades


Plumbers must have their Certificate of Qualifications (CofQ) or be a registered apprentice in order to work in Ontario.

Plumbers must be licensed in order to work in construction, install fittings, install fixtures for water distribution in buildings.

Any plumber working in kitchen and bathroom renovations also requires a license.

You can check Certificate of Qualifications here

The Ontario College of Trades


The Ontario College of Trades (the College) is an industry-driven, professional regulatory body that protects the public by regulating and promoting the skilled trades.

One of the main responsibilities of the College is to ensure that individuals performing the skills of compulsory trades have the training and certification required to legally practice this trade in Ontario.